I’ve finally got finished the next batch of Dungeon Saga miniatures, some are a joy to paint others are a pita.
From left to right are the Armoured Zombies, Skeleton Scythe Men and Zombies
I’ve nearly done all the monsters now, I just need to finish the Skeleton Bowmen but I don’t have the urge to paint them yet so it may be a while until the next Dungeon Saga update. But I am currently working on a large unit of Skaven so that probably will be the next update.
The Painting guide is below if needed.
Firstly I’ve decided on a few new years resolutions related to my hobby –
1. I have to paint two models for every one that I buy this year, this is becoming essential as although I didn’t paint much last year I was still buying as normal and all my cupboards seem to be overflowing with miniatures.
2. Clear my painting desk of unfinished miniatures, this may not sound too hard to you but right now there’s probably over 100 models on it in various stages of completion, one of which has been there for 16 years now.
3. Start my Skaven army and have enough units completed for a game by the end of the year.
They shouldn’t be too hard to achieve except perhaps the 2nd but we shall see.
Over the Christmas holidays I picked up a copy of Dungeon Saga from Mantic Games, I was interested in how it would compare to Heroquest in both quality and it’s game play. Although I haven’t played it yet I have begun painting the miniatures and they aren’t too bad, the sculpts are more detailed than the Heroquest miniatures but they are made from a much softer plastic which has some pro’s and con’s such as they bend instead of break if dropped, most figures had warped in the box but hot water straightens them out, hopefully they will stay in the correct pose now that they are painted. The mould lines are also quite hard to remove, the plastic seems to fur up instead of being removed cleanly, I’ve heard that freezing the models first can help here though I’ve yet to try it.
I’ve painted the first batch of undead monsters from the game, the Skeleton Swordsmen, Dwarf Revenants and Ghosts.
I didn’t want to spend a long time on the figures as they are obviously gaming pieces rather than display but I did want them to look like Mantics display pieces as much as possible. Painting Guides are below and I’m now onto the next group –
The first of my Heroquest figures are more or less done, they didn’t take long at all as the figures are so basic, waiting for the washes to dry was probably the longest part.
I’m quite pleased with the result for a quick job, I’m still unsure how I’m going to base the figures yet so I have just painted it grey for now, I would like them to match the Heroquest board but as each room is a different colour that’s impossible and I don’t want to cut the figure from the base to attach it to a scenic one so I’ll have to think a bit more about this.
Now I’m going to start work on the Mummies.
I’ve posted a painting guide below so I don’t forget how I did it and hopefully someone will find it useful.
Unless I say otherwise all my paints are Vallejo Game Color as I like them the best, but there are conversion charts out there if you use another manufacturer.
The Skeletons body I started with a Beasty Brown base coat then dry brushed Bonewhite followed by a Sepia Wash, I then lightly dry brushed a 50/50 mix of Bonewhite and Off White I thought they still looked a little pale so I gave it another wash of watered down Sepia to finish off.
For the weapon the blade was a Tinny Tin base coat then stippled with Gunmetal followed by a Sepia Wash and then a Black Wash. The handle is Charred Brown and then simply highlighted with Earth.
The Base is unfinished at the moment with just coat of Cold Grey. I finished the figures off with a coat of Army Painters Anti Shine Matt Varnish.